You may be surprised at the large number of Hawaii residents who originally came here on vacation. Some never went home ! With a little motivation, determination and creative thinking, many of them have made a good life here and - of course - with the increasing number of people who move here, come more jobs and opportunities as well, although the job market does go up and down - as it does everywhere.
A few potential problems with working in Hawaii:
- You may be in "Seventh Heaven", but work is still work!
- The vacation is over!
- It may not pay quite as well as your last job in a big city.
- It can be hard to find good help!
- People who do the hiring have to compete with world-class surf, etc.
The Good News!
- If you are a reliable and motivated person, the world is your oyster!
- There are many opportunities for an entrepreneur, so much is lacking on our Island!
- If you do good work, the local 'coconut wireless' network spreads the word like wildfire!
- When work is pau hana (finished), you get to relax in Hawaii !
If you are serious about looking for employment in Hawaii, there are a few good resources I would suggest:
- Craigslist: The Hawaii version may not be as big as some big cities, but there is still LOTS posted every day!
- HireNet Hawaii: A job board focusing on listing available jobs in Hawaii.
- 808Classifieds: A free local publication that is printed monthly. Free to post, free to view.
- KAUAI MUSE LETTER
- The Hawaii Tribune Herald: East Hawaii's local newspaper.
- KonaWeb: A great website for visitors and locals alike, events calendar, forums, weather report, and much more!